Writer Nation Podcast #1 featuring Keely Thrall
“Be kind to yourself. If you’re doing it right, you’re putting yourself out there and your work will be critiqued. You need to differentiate the criticism of your work from perceived criticism of yourself. If you can do that, you’ll be rewarded.”
Ms Keely Thrall: Writer, Actor, Plant-based Test Eater, Motivator
Hello Fellow Writers & Readers!
For someone who never wrote a thing before attending her first writer’s meeting, Keely Thrall founded the Washington DC Tuesday Night Writers Group and is a finalist for Romance Writers of America’s Golden Heart award. She is a former president of Washington Romance Writers and is endlessly supportive of writers, and tirelessly works to help others, sometimes to the detriment of her own writing. We sat down in her DC condo and chatted about how she came to be a writer. As the daughter of scholars, she assumed she’d be a scholar one day, not a writer. Her pursuit of graduate degrees and hobbies like improv led to a winding path of discovery that she has stories inside her. Keely is one of my favorite writers in the DC area, and I hope we show that writers are not alone. It takes a village to put out your work and Writer Nation is here for you. I hope you find motivation and inspiration in Keely’s story to keep writing your book!
Topics Covered during show:
- Getting outside your comfort zone
- Experiencing life in order to write
- Plant-based lifestyle and eating choices
- What to do about writer’s block
- Writing in Washington DC
- Depression and finding ways to manage it
Organizations and recipes mentioned in the podcast:
- Washington Romance Writers
- Washington Romance Writers is one of the largest chapters of RWA with 270+ members
- They meet once a month for writing craft workshops and camaraderie
- Romance Writers of America
- RWA is the largest professional organization for fiction writers in the United States
- They are dedicated to advancing the interests of career-focused romance writers
- Tuesday Night Writes
- A weekly group of DC writers that meet in Clarendon
- Wednesday Night Writes
- A weekly group of DC writers that meet in the District
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- Dr Neal Barnard’s group works to put prevention before pills and conducts research on the benefits of healthful diets and lifestyle over illness and medication
- DC Improv
- With comedy shows and comedy school, DC Improv brings the funny to DC
- Vegan Cheesecake Recipe from The Minimalist Baker
- Because, yummy!
- Vegan Pierogi Recipe from The Plant Strong Vegan
- And more yummy!
TODAY’S SPONSOR: Jamie Farrell Books
Jamie writes fun contemporary romances with quirky characters and lots of heart. She believes love and laughter are two of the most powerful forces in the universe, and she infuses both into all of her stories. Her debut novel, Southern Fried Blues, was a finalist for the 2013 National Readers’ Choice Awards and the 2014 National Excellence in Romance Fiction Awards.
A native Midwesterner, Jamie has lived in the South the majority of her adult life. When she’s not writing, she and her military hero husband are busy raising three hilariously unpredictable children.